Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On to more fun stuff!!

I got to talk with a family that traveled two weeks ago and she shared with me things to bring. And since Becky mentioned she wants ideas and I know we are all wanting ideas, here is what she suggested to bring.

For the weather right now...warm coat, mittens, hat and boots that can be worn in slushy, dirty snow. She said she never even wore her other shoes at all..just her boots everywhere. Leave the bulky sweaters home and bring a thin sweater and shirts. The babyhome was really hot and you want to take off layers as soon as you are inside. Also to carry hand sanitizer and tp when out even at the baby home in case there is none of these items in the bathroom. And bring of course camera, videocamera, pen and paper for info you receive about your child.

For the baby...toys, cheerios, baby book and blanket you slept with to leave with your child. She also suggested shoes like soft soled robeez as it seemed at the babyhome she was at, it was an item that probably your child would get to use. Can bring clothes for your child but probably won't be used only on your child or get them returned in the end. She also brought lotion and chapstick that she used on her child while there since their skin looked dry and she had wished she had brought diaper cream, wipes and diapers for her child too.

So from that I will have to add a few things. Now...here is what I'm bringing to use at the babyhome.

I want to give her a wrapped present with our photo album and the lovey bunny that kept me company after many hard days of waiting for her. Both my boys have little blankee lovies that they still sleep with every night.


I will also bring a few soft board books, tiny cloth doll, nesting cups, small ball, bubbles and cheerios and maybe a banana. For clothes I have 2 different sizes I want to try on her... 6-12mo and 12-18mo. and a few sizes of shoes. I'm also bringing a piece of paper and pencil to trace her feet. I have diapers, wipes and diaper cream and now lotion.

I found a cute snow jacket, bib, hat and mittens for the second trip and my sling. Besides leaving the album, and lovey I want to leave a disposable camera and some note cards for her caregivers and ask if they might write a message to her.
I think that about somes it up.


8 comments:

Joy said...

The note cards are a great idea. Do not forget to label the cameras with her name. I just can not believe that you are leaving soon.
Joy

Troy and Rachel said...

Looks like you are getting all set and great job on getting your I-171. Aren't dad's the best - and your dad definitly sounds like one of the best!!

Becky and Keith said...

Fabulous, fabulous ideas! I read about the note cards somewhere just the other day and I think that is a GREAT idea! I'm still so sad we're going to miss each other in Moscow! Thanks for giving me things to add to my list (travel tp!)! One thing I read... if you're going to be bringing a lot of chargeable electronics (we'll have a laptop, camcorder, camera) bring a powerstrip. You can plug the powerstrip into the adapter/converter thingy and then you can charge everything all at once.

Janine said...

Thanks for the tips guys! You're the best!! Labels for the disposable camera and a powerstrip...very smart!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like you have everything just about together! I love all of the clothes and things you have for her!! :) I'm sure you are getting so excited!!!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

SO CUTE! I wanted to add that you might like to take some vanilla pudding with you. Owen couldn't chew Cheerios or anything like that at 18 months old but loved purees so I wish I had taken pudding to feed to him. The Hunt's brand doesn't have to be refrigerated so it would travel easily. Just an idea! :)

Janine said...

Thanks Adrienne! That's a great idea! I'm adding that to my list!

Monica said...

I just happen upon your blog. We're just getting started on our journey towards adopting from kyrgyzstan and I'm trying to read and learn as much as possible.
How exciting that you are ready for travelling!
Best wishes to you!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...