Monday, March 3, 2008

The elusive 171-H

Who would have thought that the hardest part so far of our adoption journey would be to obtain a one page form from our local USCIS deeming us fit to be a parent to a foreign born child. It seems that no matter where I turn I see others getting this paper so easily. How is it that 2 people born and raised here in the U.S, both attending 4 year universities, with no medical problems or criminal records. 2 people who own their own home, make a nice income, both employed, one as a teacher and one still earning an income but for all purposes a SAHM and have 2 children already have such a hard time getting this paper from the government saying we can raise a foreign born child. We have a favorable homestudy submitted on our behalf. The state of Ca agrees we are fit to be a parent to a foreign born child. We think we are pretty darn good parents already to two US born children. What is the problem? What is the hold up? It is such a joke. I just don't understand why I don't have this paper yet. According to their website everyone who submitted their application upto Sept 7th 2007 has their case completed. We are included in that date...our file should have been completed too! So frustrated!!

Today I spent the morning at my local congresswoman's office filling out paperwork so that they can make an inquiry in the next week as to why we haven't received this paper. I'm trying to have faith but the fact that they can only make an inquiry and not demand this paper for us, makes me a little nervous. Both of my adoption agencies told me to go to the local office and get the answers however I could. So this afternoon I got the last INFO PASS of the day and went back down to my local USCIS. The officer helping me was able to talk with the orphan adoption officer upstairs. He truly is the only man handling a larger portion of the bay area's adoption paperwork which makes no sense whatsoever. He was too busy to come downstairs and talk with me so I was able to make yet another appt for tomorrow morning and go back with hubby to meet with him and hopefully get that elusive piece of paper. I'm very nervous as to why we have to meet and that he couldn't just print out the paper and hand it to the officer I was speaking with. What on earth could be the deal? I already know our fingerprints came back clean, they checked in December and again today..so what on earth is the holdup? If he doesn't give us that paper tomorrow I do not know what will happen. I only hope I came remain calm.

I have so much to do...only 7 days and counting and I want to be happy and so excited but at the sametime this is really stressing me out. And going away for another week without anyone working on this problem or having any conclusion is going to be difficult. Court seems to come so quickly after the first trip and we just can't have this one piece of paper screwing everything up!!

Thanks for letting me vent...I really needed that!

5 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Oh Janine! Hang in there!!! Sounds like you are doing everything in your power to get that piece of paper. I hope tomorrow am goes well and you're able to get what you need. If not, hopefully the congresswoman's office will come through! You will get it - I have a feeling so just keep pushing those USCIS people. :-) I can't wait to hear more about your travel preparations. I need tips/tricks and advice! :-) I'll be thinking about you tomorrow - post as soon as you can!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh Janine, this must be completely stressing you out. I hope the congresswoman's office will get to the bottom of whatever is holding yours up. I know you must be so excited about meeting your daughter but so anxious to get this form taken care of too. I hope you hear good news tomorrow :)

Joy said...

Janine,
It is okay to feel frustrated about not having this paper. I do think however in the end you will get what you need tomorrow.
I remember how upset I was waiting for that piece of paper. You have been so patient.
Joy

Troy and Rachel said...

You are doing the right thing by talking to the Congressman and getting the infopass. I hope you get good news and you get that paper. You're under orders to let us know right away when you have it!!

Melissa said...

in nj it is a long wait to get fingerprinted as well as get the paper back. i think our state is the worst. i hope you get it soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...