Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The MMPI-2 Personality Inventory

Last week I had my appt with a psychologist to take my MMPI-2 psych evaluation as required by some regions in Russia. I've never had an appt with a psychologist before. She was very nice and actually specializes in adoption issues in kids. She agreed to give hubby and I the test, score it and do the write up of the results and get it back to us in time to bring it with us next week for our dossier.

The actual test was something else. What an experience that turned out to be. Generally this test is used for those screening new applicants or anyone interested in measuring how a person copes with worry/stress/anger.

It is a scantron type test with 571 True or False questions. It took me 2 hours to complete the test. For the most part the questions were bizarre. The first question asked, true or false "I read Mechanics magazine". There were also several dark questions that asked if voices were talking to me, if I wanted to kill myself and then the very next question would be..true or false.. "I would like the work of a forest ranger." Or.."if you were an artist would you want to paint flowers?" Does your stomach hurt most of the time, does your throat hurt most of the time. Okay. It was so bizarre that I couldn't believe this was going to be helpful to anyone about whether I could parent a foreign born child or not. And what could someone write about that person based on how they answered. I guess if you anwered True to all of the... "do you want to hurt yourself or others?" or True to all of the "you are angry and upset with the world most of the time" that would be a red flag but what about the other 350 questions about random stuff like being an artist and painting flowers?

Next week we get to meet with the psychologist and go over her summary of each of our test results. I can't wait to see what in the world she writes.

3 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Wow... what a smattering of questions. You'll definitely have to let us know what the right up says. It alwasy freaks me out when tests like that nail your personality and traits right on the head!

Troy and Rachel said...

That is really interesting...Hmmm--I would paint flowers - should I have said that??!! I won't be looking forward to that one!!

Janine said...

It was interesting. I didn't know what to expect before I stepped into the office. I had read several sample writeups that my agency had sent me to give as a sample for what they were looking for from our psychologist and after reading the write ups I was curious what the test consisted of and now having taken it, I don't get how they scored it. The samples were very specific and having just met her once and then taking a T/F test of random questions...anyways it should be interesting. I'm a little skeptical. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...