Saturday, September 15, 2007

Dare to Dream...Is it safe yet?

I have wanted a little girl for as long as I can remember. I had names picked out since I was a girl...of course they always change. But I always imagined I would have a daughter. When I used to volunteer in the dependency court I would chose girl cases to manage and sometimes I would really fall for a child and wonder what it was like to be her mother. (None of them were available for adoption, they were all going to go home at some point.) Even reading all of the other adoption blogs where their children have come home I still felt very guarded and wondered would that happen for us too? International adoption is not without it's ups and downs and I know not everyone has had a happy ending. So it's safe to feel guarded and not wanting to get too attached too hopeful. Of course, on the inside I'm hooked, totally taken over this little child on the other side of the world that's waiting in an orphanage for a mommy and daddy. And even though we haven't even met and I know nothing about her I can't help but feel for her.

On Friday, was the first time I let myself think outloud that it could really happen with us bringing her home when I talked with our placing agency. He said as soon as he received a roughdraft via fax of our homestudy we could go ahead and meet with them and work on our dossier documents. Wow!! Such a quick conversation but so much hope in his words. It just almost felt for a small moment like such a real possibility!!

So as long as I'm daydreaming, I thought I would share a few things I have found for Emily. I haven't bought too much for her yet but I did buy a couple of cute things. She has inherited a few baby things from her brothers that were unisex; toys, blankets, clothes and most of the nursery furniture..the crib and changing table/dresser. The first thing I bought is this "bunnies by the bay" lovey in cream for her to have at the orphanage. It says, "best friends indeed." I plan to sleep with it a few nights before we travel so that she has my smell with her. My boys have a satin edged blankee lovey that they sleep with every night since they were a year old so I'm excited for my little girl to have a lovey too. I need to get another one, just in case something happens to the first one.

I also bought this cute tinkerbell dress- up outfit for when she is close to 3 years old. I saw this right after we got back from Disneyland. Everywhere you are in Disneyland you see these cute little preschool girls wearing their adorable princess dresses. I couldn't resist. I could hardly get my boys to wear their mickey pirate ears...

She has her own bathroom which I painted a soft green. It matches the border of the butterfly mat so I'm outfitting her towels and bath mat in this cute pottery barn kids butterfly pattern along with their striped pink towels. So cute. Well, that's all for now.

3 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

You've got some cute things for your little girl! We have the pottery barn turtle mat and got all of the Spring Meadows towels and shower curtain, too. It is such a cute set! Have fun decorating her room and bathroom!

Janine said...

Thanks Carrie! It is fun isn't it. I must walk into that bathroom a few million times a day..just to look at the cute kid things..silly, I know..but fun.

Becky and Keith said...

I think I'm the queen of guarded, but whenever I let myself dream a little I get soooo super excited! :-) I think a good balance between being guarded and dreaming is necessary in the crazy world of international adoption! I absolutely love the tinkerbell dress and the bath stuff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...