Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mama..mine..home



Emily...20 months old...

How I love my amazing little girl! Everyday we talk about how much her family loves her. I will start and say, "Mama loves you Emily." And then she will say..."Dadda?" And I will say.."Dadda loves Emily." And she will say "Bubba?" And then I will say "Bubba loves Emily." And then she will say her other brother's name (BW). And then MuMu? (nickname for our littlest dog Morgan) And then I will say.."MuMu loves Emily. And today she just learned our last dog's name..James. She can now say everyone in our family! Before she would just say MuMu twice meaning James too. Sometimes she says a few family members' names twice until she remembers which person she has forgotten to say. Such a sweet girl! She seems to be really getting it..that we are her family..forever!!


While Emily was playing in the bath tonite we talked briefly about Emily's life before us and her now being home with her forever family. I'm always trying to find the right words to tell Emily a little bit about her life story so that she is familiar with it and can talk to us about it. It is very brief right now and I'm still working it all out so that it's appropriate for her age. I began simply by telling Emily her full name and how she was born in St Petersburg, Russia and that she lived in the babyhome. I told her how the caregivers there loved her and took care of her before mommy and daddy could bring her home. And we talked about her little friends that she remembers...Sasha and Sergei. These 2 cute little boys that lived with her in her gruppa and was the closest to her age. She always lights up when I mention their names and now tries to say their names after I say them. So very cute. And then I tell her how mommy and daddy came for her and how we rode a big airplane to come home to America. And that now she is home forever with mommy and daddy, brothers and doggies. This is Emily's home. Emily will live here forever with mama and dadda. She looks up at me and then says..."mama...mine... (pointing to herself) home." "That's right baby girl...this is your home with mama, dadda, and brothers." What a smart cookie she is! Those wheels are turning in that cute little head. I see that connections are being made!


Oh...how I love this little girl!! I'm so grateful she is a part of our family!
Hoping you have many reasons today to be thankful too! Happy Turkey Day!!

Emily is saying "cheese" in this photo on the right. She is such a crack-up!

6 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Simply beautiful and smart too! Happy Thanksgiving!

Kim

Joy said...

She gets cuter with each picture. The other day I was showing my Mother pictures of all the children who are home. She loves the pictures of your daughter. I love seeing pictures and hearing updates.
Joy

Anonymous said...

Janine, I love reading your blog and keeping up with you guys and how Emily is doing. You just made my day reading about Sasha and Sergei! Sasha continues to thrive and love his life with his family. We are all so thrilled to have him home. I was wondering about Sergei just yesterday. I wish we knew where he is. Emily is so adorable and has grown so much. I am so happy for you guys. Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,
Sarah

Carey and Norman said...

I always wonder what our little one remembers. She doesn't seem to recognize anything in the photos or video. She has even forgotten her Russian name. It is sad, but I am glad she is happy in her new home.

Emily is adorable and getting bigger each day.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I always smile when I see Emily's pictures. She is such a beautiful little angel! It's incredible how she put everything together from your telling her about her adoption at just 20 months old. She is so smart, Janine. and oh so cute.

Give her a big hug from me! :)
Adrienne

Annie said...

I love it! What a pumpkin. I made a little picture book for Chloe that tells her story. Right now we just talk briefly about each page, I plan to expand as she is ready.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...